Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Grunge Messiah

I think that there is a theological reason that I was and still am moved by the grunge movement in the early 90's. This kind of pattern happens all throughout the Bible, the music scene and probably in just about every platform and movement. I will just focus on Jesus and music and you can make all of your own connections. There is something about the punk rock movement and the grunge movement and all the other changes in music scenes... they resonate with so many people because of something spiritual I would argue.

In the 80's, rock music became increasingly shallow and materialistic. Everything seemed to be for show and I would even make the argument that it didn't much matter what a band sounded like... as Andre Agassi pointed out in that time, Image was everything! Jesus took a superficial religion and gave it a soul, just like the grunge movement gave rock back its soul. When I listen to Pearl Jam or Nirvana, or some of the lesser knows grunge bands like the Melvins and Mudhoney, it resonates with me in a spiritual way. These movements brought authenticity and spirituality to something that had lost it. If I work at a large church some day, I want to be an "alternative pastor" rather than an associate pastor in honor of the punk and alternative rock movements that revolutionized music as we know it and will continue to revolutionize it as time goes on.

No comments: