Tuesday, September 18, 2007

who' wants to get dirty with me?

Some things have been happening lately that have put me in a certain frame of mind. On Mondays they have all of the coaches press conferences on TV talking about Sundays game. This coupled with the fact that I've been playing basketball with the coaches and high school team during the off season has made me realize something. You know in the movies, when a coach takes some pitiful team and drives them to do better? This is what if feels like sometimes for Methodist Ministers recently. What struck me, is what the coaches in these movies do on a consistent basis: they recruit!

I recently preached from Luke where Jesus talks about God needing to know who's on God's team and that you can't do this thing halfway. Now we visit people... don't get me wrong, I'm sure all pastors visit people when they are sick and when they are in need of something, but what if we made "recruiting visits?" I don't mean bringing a coffee cup with the church's picture on it to somebody that visits, but to really find out who's gonna be on the team and who's not. Here's what I'm gonna do: I'm gonna start visiting "key" people in the church and taking the "new member" packet with me and finding out who's really on board. Then I'm gonna have a game plan for the week, just like the coaches do. I've always wanted to be a coach, so here's my chance... no more office work, no more fluff, it's time to get down and dirty!

No comments: